12.15.2010

Christi-Leigh Wedding Donation Cards

As I try and pave the road that will lead me into the custom, boutique-style wedding invitation business I found myself speaking to a young lady I work with one afternoon and she mentioned she'd love for me to design 250 donation cards for her wedding. I had showed her images of another set of custom invitations I had done and she asked if I would be interested in helping her with this project.

In lieu of providing her guests with yet another small gift that will most likely find its way into the junk drawer of your kitchen, Christi and her husband-to-be decided instead to make a donation to the Richard T. Dalton Scholarship Fund which was created in the name of her cousin, Ricky, who had passed away just a few, short years ago. This was obviously an important part of her wedding day and because of that, this became an important project to me.

Considering the wedding was in December and close to Christmas (just a week and a half ago actually) the main color of the wedding was red. The bride has also chosen to use a graphic of Cala Lilies on her invitations and I decided to keep with that theme to make sure all of her items maintained a cohesive look and feel. That's an important part of graphic design that I think a lot of people don't make a focus, when indeed it should be. 






The goal of this project was to create something simple yet elegant. After all, with a project like this I feel as if the design should be very delicate so as not to overshadow the message behind it... while still maintaining a strong sense of design. You'll notice while the font remains a strong red, the Cala Lilie were scaled back to the point where they essentially became a dark pink hue. The paper I chose for the matte was Stardream Jupiter Red which has a cool glimmer effect and it's a pretty festive color. In an effort to balance that I printed the actual card on a thick, recycled white, cotton cardstock I purchased. Then, using disposable, double-sided tape guns I hand assembled each of the 250 pieces and called it a day. If I had to guess I'd say I spent somewhere around 10 hours on this project between design and production (cutting and assembly).

I have to say, I'm really happy with this end result. Between how important I knew this was to the bride (and how happy she looked when I dropped them off two days before the wedding) and the overall appearance of the final product this was a nice project to work on. I've been really lucky as of late with finding some really sweet projects to work on (more on those other projects to come soon) and this was definitely one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment